Friday, July 1, 2016

Hague ruling on South China Sea on July 12

The Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague said that it would issue a ruling on July 12 on the Philippines’ case brought against Beijing’s South China Sea claims. The Philippines brought the case against China on January 22, 2013, less than a year after China seized Scarborough Shoal, clearly within the Philippines’ UN-mandated 200-nautical mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)

The day after The Hague’s press release, Beijing was vehement again that China would not accept its verdict. China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hong Lei said on Thursday in a long statement that it will not accept a third party dispute settlement or any solution imposed on China.

Fiery Cross Reef August 2014

Fiery Cross Reef September 2015
The speed and scale of China’s island-building spree in the South China Sea last year alarmed other countries with interests in the region. After announcing in June that the process of building seven new islands by moving sediment from the seafloor to reefs was almost done, China has focused its efforts on building ports, three airstrips, radar facilities and other military buildings on the islands.