Sunday, February 19, 2017

China sends troops to restive Xinjiang

Chinese security forces have staged another mass anti-terror rally in the restive far western region of Xinjiang, parading hundreds of armed men through the streets of the regional capital Urumqi in a show of force after an uptick in violence.

Hundreds have died in Xinjiang in the past few years, mostly in unrest between the Muslim Uygur people, who call the region home, and the ethnic majority Han Chinese. Beijing blames the unrest on Islamist militants.
On Tuesday, three knife-wielding attackers killed five people and injured another five in Pishan county before themselves being shot dead in Hotan prefecture. In December, five people were killed when attackers drove a vehicle into a government building and police shot dead what authorities described as three terror suspects last month.

Xinjiang deputy party secretary Zhu Hailun said the Urumqi rally was a sign of “real action” to deepen the fight against terror. Militants and extremists would be “smashed and destroyed”, Zhu said.