Tuesday, July 4, 2017

North Korea successfully test-launches its first intercontinental ballistic missile

US officials confirmed claims made by North Korea that it successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile. Officials said that the ballistic missile flew longer than any North Korean missile test conducted by the rogue regime to date. The latest Hwasong-14 missile flew higher and remained in the air longer than previous attempts — 37 minutes and 1741 miles.

In what is becoming common, Trump responded on Twitter. “North Korea has just launched another missile. Does this guy have anything better to do with his life?” Mr Trump wrote.
The United States has requested a closed-door meeting of the United Nations Security Council on North Korea’s latest missile launch which is likely on Wednesday. North Korea’s latest missile test is the 11th Pyongyang has launched so far this year.

South Korea’s Defence Minister Han Min-koo has said he would consider a “pre-emptive blow” against North Korea if he felt there was a direct threat. Russia and China proposed that North Korea declare a moratorium on missile tests while the US and South Korea refrain from large-scale military exercises.